Good news and bad news this week.
The good news is that there has been a huge development for this project. We managed to get copies of the 3.63 Lin Client and 3.63 Source code to function together (mostly). This means on release we won’t be 3.53 like the old server was. 3.63 offers us a lot of new content, features, and improvements we could not have created on our own. Below are a few photos for you to look through, with descriptions of what you are seeing.
This photo shows the new character sheet. You will notice the addition of two new ring slots and a talisman slot. The ring slots traditionally unlocked at lvls 76 and 81. How those will work on our server is still up in the air. The talisman is basically a toggled item that gives an effect when it is on. You may also notice that this place is not very familiar, it is an updated version of SKT!
This photo shows a giant spider boss, who has taken up residence on the new Talking Island. The entire island is covered in new monsters, and is no longer a safe place for newbies. You may also notice that it is raining in that photo.
This photo just shows sprites for two new monsters, one is a nine tailed fox god and the other is the updated model for Lindvinor.
So there is a TON to be excited about with this new client. This isn’t even close to all the new stuff it adds, and I am sure we will be showcasing more of it as we go along. The BAD news however is moving to this new client adds a LOT more work. We need to figure out what work we’ve already done can be transferred over, and what will need to be redone from scratch. There is a TON of translating to do, bugs to fix, and code to review. We are really buckling down (Legends is a machine!) on getting this new client into the same working shape as our old one asap, but it’s a big undertaking.
As a result, I estimate we will probably go to some kind of private Alpha sooner than we planned (but in a significantly less polished and more buggy state than expected) so that core bugs and mechanics issues can be discovered. This will probably happen as soon as the client is stable and all the glaring bugs and errors are fixed, however we don’t have an estimate on when that will be just yet.
Open Beta and release will likely be delayed from when we expected to allow time to fix all the issues. When we release an open beta version to the public we want to be confident it is a reflection of what our end product will be, and that means no glaring bugs, most if not all the content completed/working, and a fully functioning website and toolset. I know it’s cruel to post cool pictures and then tell people to wait, but the wait will be worth it in the long run!