Previously in a comment I had responded to a question about how Karma would work on our server. I had stated that it would be similar to shared XP, where it gives it to all party members and is static regardless of party size.
Since that post, Legends and I spent some time discussing the Karma system as a whole, and we’ve decided to make some adjustments to it…
- The existing “Karma” system, where you have a hidden karma value that raises or lowers similar to XP, is going to be mothballed for future content.
- Karma monsters will drop soul/blood shards fairly frequently, and on a per party basis. This is utilizing a system already in the game, where we can set it so if an item drops, it drops to ALL party members, not just one.
- Soul/Blood shards will stack infinitely and will have zero weight.
- You will trade soul/blood shards to a NPC. Level zero will cost a set amount, and each level beyond you will need to trade both your previous ammy/necklace + more shards. You can obtain and level as many copies of the amulet/earrings as you want for blowing purposes, but they will remain untradeable.
- Soul/Blood shards in their old form no longer exist. You can only obtain Karma from hunting, not from turn ins.
- Karma monsters will never become non-hostile.
- There will be no keys required to access Karma bosses.
- A teleport to the Sanctuary of Evil will be added for a modest fee.
So why are we making these changes? Here are a few of our reasons…
- We want players to be able to work on both sides of their Karma items at the same time. The existing system does not allow for this, and this change is significantly easier than overhauling the Karma system to allow for it.
- We want players to feel they have access to all of the Karma bosses. This is incredibly important both because of how good the items they drop are (Most T3 bosses are karma bosses, the rest are T2) as well as the inherent imbalance in their distribution (One Varlok boss vs Four Yahee bosses). We don’t want situations where a player can’t help his pledge kill Death, or can’t go party hunt with his friends, simply because they are committed to different Karmas.
- We are removing keys and the buff requirement to fight Karma bosses to make them more in line with other high end challenges. Dragons and Thebes bosses are both relatively easy to access, with their difficulty stemming from their raw strength. It makes sense for Karma bosses to be similarly accessible. That said, these bosses need to be aggressive, and as a result their areas will be aggressive as well.
- We want obtaining your karma items to be a direct result of hunting. You will not be able to buy your way into Karma items, but hunting as a team will make obtaining them faster.
- This gives us a very easy way to allow players to obtain repeat karma items.
Overall, expect the same amount of time needed to obtain a max level karma item solo as with the old system.
In summary, instead of invisible karma numbers, monsters drop shards. Shards drop party wide. Trade shards for Karma items/upgrades. You can obtain and level as many karma items as you want. Karma bosses don’t need keys, will kill you. You don’t need buffs to fight Karma bosses.