First, thank you to everyone who wished me well. Things are going much better. My car is still being fixed, but we replaced my fiancee’s car and my mother had her surgery which went great. When they did a biopsy of the growth they determined it was “precancerous” and that their initial diagnosis was not accurate. She isn’t fully out of the woods yet, she will need to do a lot of follow up stuff, but it was absolutely the best news we could have gotten.
Anyway, enough about that stuff, this blog is about Lineage! One of the nice things about the skill overhaul taking longer than expected is I have time to work on stuff we didn’t originally plan to include at launch. I’ve spent the past week or so working on another new zone, our 75+ group hunting zone. The plan for this zone is to provide an extremely challenging experience for players who have reached what I would call the “end game”. Here are a few of the key points for the zone:
- Zone is currently called Hellscape, and it uses the Hell map.
- Scrolls to hunt there will be very expensive, probably between 2-5 million adena. Monsters there won’t drop adena either. Hunting there is intended to be an adena sink.
- The zone will be incredibly difficult. Monsters there use many existing boss models (DK, Demon, Varlok, Tarak, Chaos, Ken, Cerenis, Iris, KV, Bapho, Beleth) plus some new ones. They all have thousands of hp, regen health, do significant amounts of damage in single target and AOE, and will have other abilities that make them very dangerous (stuns, debuffs, cancels, teleporting, summoning adds, etc.).
- I expect hunting there to require balanced, coordinated groups of players who hunt cautiously. You won’t be able to escape, there will be an NPC who will tele you out if you reach them. People will most likely die, especially the first time they go there.
- The zone will likely have a boss, but he won’t be THAT much more difficult than the other stuff there simply because most monsters there are already very strong. The real difficulty will be finding him and dealing with him and the other monsters already around.
- Monsters there have very high XP, but not proportional to the difficulty. It’s not really intended to be a zone you hunt to level up, as other places would offer better efficiency. Still you will earn good XP, especially considering the group XP bonuses.
The droplist is what I am currently working on. It’s going to be skewed towards things that have resale value to other players like enchants, dolls, etc and not include stuff that vendors for adena (except maybe consumables for hunting like potions, so players can try to extend their hunt as long as possible). This is because I want this map to pull money out of the economy and to encourage high level players to sell items to lower level players. It will also serve to help lower the cost for low/mid tier items by increasing their availability once the player base gets strong enough to hunt here regularly.
So what’s in it for the high level people taking the risk? Well, they will likely walk away from a hunt with tons of enchants, doll tokens, and many mid tier weapons/armors/rings they can sell or blow up. Many rare boss drops will drop there, but will remain very rare. Still, it’s a good place to farm for boss tier weapons/armor to try to over enchant. Materials needed for the new Fidelity crafting recipe will drop there, so making Fidelity weapons will require either hunting there or buying those mats from a player who does. Some unique items will drop in the zone that won’t be obtainable anywhere else, like best in slot t-shirts. Standard Elixirs will drop there (a reminder that we combined all elixirs into one item, and it is tradeable. The 5 elixir cap still exists), as well as extremely rare different kind of Elixir called an “Eternal Elixir”. This item works just like a normal elixir, except there is no cap for how many you can use. This gives super late game players a way to still add power to their character (I stress again though, they are going to be extremely rare). Eternal elixirs will not drop from any other source except Elite Dragons. Speaking of Elite Dragons, this zone will also be the only place where Summoning Shards are dropped in their completed form, giving high end pledges a way to farm up shards significantly faster in order to summon high end elites more frequently. For more info on summoning shards, see our older blog post about the concept. It’s my hope that the chance for reward by including so many unique things, as well as a shot at many powerful items, will be enough incentive for players to take on the risk. As with all things, balance is a process so we will need to adjust as we go along.
I really want this to be a fun, challenging, and rewarding place for experienced players to go hunt. In my mind my perfect success would be if the following scenario happened: You schedule with your pledgemates “hey, 7pm EST on Sunday we are hunting Hellscape, be there and be prepared!” Everyone level 75+ shows up, two balanced parties are formed, and the pledge hunts there together for as long as supplies hold out. It’s intense, you’re constantly focused on healing people who just got stunned, or drawing aggro as the knight tank, or trying to burn down that damn caster monster that just got pulled and is currently spamming destroy on the water elf. In just a few hours you are mentally exhausted from having to focus for so long, and most people are out of magic gems and potions. The hunt is over, but afterwards people immediately turn in the soul shards they earned hunting and pool all their summoning shards. With all the strong members of the pledge on already, it’s the perfect opportunity to try to take down a T3 Elite together. It’s an extremely intense fight, lots of deaths happen, but eventually they bring the boss down. They distribute the loot from the hunt and the boss, to the tune of hundreds of enchants and other valuables. The pledge continues to stockpile mats to make their next fidelity weapon. Maybe a few people get their next elixir, one or two super lucky players gets something like an endless potion or a knight vald sword, or the pledge finally gets a magic lamp so they can hunt even longer next time! They all look forward to doing it again next weekend, and maybe next time they will finally try an elite dragon….
Hope you enjoyed this post and I hope your 2018 is going well!